Common account problems
Problems logging in to BioCyc?
If you have problems accessing your account on any of our servers (ie BioCyc, EcoCyc, MetaCyc, BSubCyc and HumanCyc),
it maybe due to inconsistent cached files.
To fix this, you can try one of these things:
- Hard refresh of a page: hit Shift-Reload (Mac) or Ctrl-Reload (PC)
(hold down the Shift/Ctrl key while clicking the page-reload symbol, usually a circular arrow near where the URL appears in the web browser)
- Reset your session by going to this url: /reset-session.shtml
- Delete site cookies. Instructions on how to delete site cookies for each browser is included below.
- Try a different browser
Instructions on deleting website cookies
- For Firefox:
- At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button and then select Options
- Select the Privacy & Security panel.
- Under Cookies and Site Data, click "Manage Data"
- In the Search: field, type the name of the site or cookie name(s) whose cookies you want to remove. The cookies that match your search will be displayed. In this case, you want to search for "biocyc" or "ecocyc"(case sensitive).
- Select the cookie(s) in the list to remove and click Remove Cookie.
- Select the first cookie and press Shift+End to select all the cookies in the list.
- Click Close to close the Cookies window.
- For Chrome:
- Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Click "Security and Privacy".
- Click "Cookies and other site data".
- In the "Cookies" section, click the "See all cookies and site data" button.
- In the "Search cookies" text box, type "biocyc" (or "ecocyc" etc). You need to do this for each site.
- To delete a specific cookie, hover over the site that issued the cookie with your mouse, then click the X that appears on the right corner.
- Click "Done" when cookies have been deleted
- For Edge:
- Go to biocyc.org (or ecocyc.org etc) in Edge and click on the three dots button and then select "Settings"
- Then select "Cookies and site permission" and then select "Manage and delete cookies and cite Data"
- Select "See all cookies and site data"
- Search for "biocyc" or "ecocyc" and delete the cookie
Problems Accessing a BioCyc Subscription?
We validate access for institutional subscribers using your IP
address, so you must connect to BioCyc from a computer on your
institution's network, or via your institution's VPN if you are off campus. To see if
BioCyc recognizes your IP address as part of your institution, look
for the words "INSTITUTION-NAME subscriber" in the top banner,
e.g., "University of New York subscriber."
If it says "Subscribe to BioCyc" in the banner instead, it means your IP
address is not recognized. This is often because we received an
incomplete list of institution IP addresses from your institution. To
correct the issue, please send your IP address address and a screen
shot of the error you are receiving to
To find your IP address, open google.com and type "What is my IP address".
How do I create a BioCyc account?
BioCyc user accounts enable you to create and store SmartTables, store organism sets for comparative operations,
receive important email updates from BioCyc, and more.
To create a new BioCyc account:
- Click the upper right corner "Create Free Account"
- Fill in some information about yourself.
What is a Human verification text?
The Human verification text is a randomly generated set of images that you have to select based on what the text prompt is asking. A prompt will appear after you click on the "I am human" checkbox
In this example, you have to select the following images that are a motorcycle.
How do I change my BioCyc password?
- Once logged in, mouse over the user picture to the right of your name in the upper banner, and click "My account"
- Change your password via the Password fields (under the "User Information" tab)
- Click "Save" at the bottom of the form
I forgot my password. How do I reset my BioCyc password?
- Click the "LOGIN" link (in the upper right corner) which will take you to the screen below
- Select Reset Password and follow the ensuing directions.